Scalibor is a new tick collar that is available for dogs. It lasts for 3 months against paralysis ticks and the big advantage is it has no smell! Anyone that has used older tick collars would be aware of the strong chemical smell that they let off- yuk!
While that is a good point there are downsides to this collar. I would not use it if I regularly took my dog swimming or if I bathed my dog more than fortnightly.
I feel that the place for this collar is for dogs, particularly inside dogs that swim infrequently and are in a high risk area. I would use it in combination with frontline plus every 2 weeks to provide a better level of protection than either product alone.
- there's no smell
- it lasts for 3 months
- can be used in conjunction with Frontline Plus
- safe in puppies from 8 weeks of age
- takes 2-3 weeks to take effect
- not 100% effective. You still need to check your dog for ticks daily.
- Should be removed prior to swimming or bathing as the active ingredient is hazardous to aquatic organisms
- The effect of wetting the dog has not been tested
- can't be used with other products containing organophosphates (some flea rinses)